WCC Round 1 Wrap Up

Round 1 vs Burwood

1st Grade: Warr 1/11 DREW  Burwood 219

2nd Grade: Warr 9/127 DEF Burwood 106

3rd Grade: Warr 2/28 DREW Burwood 7/ 320

4th Grade: Warr 42 DEF BY Burwood 126 & 0/12

5th Grade (Metro Cup Rd1): Warr 7/160 DEF George's River 111

5th Grade (Metro Cup Rd2): Warr 9/200 DEF BY Penrith 5/220

5th Grade (Metro Cup Rd3): Warr vs Mosman WASHED OUT

Masters: Warr 133 DEF BY Auburn 207

First Grade

Day 1 Warringah chose to field first in their clash against Burwood. A brand new pitch for the season showed some life early, with the MIG bowlers taking advantage. Ben Wigney on debut, and Craig Rupert opened up to give the MIG a good start, with Burwood 3/23. A small partnership followed, before 2 quick wickets saw them reduced to 5/76.

Rupert nabbing another, and Guy Davies, back in 1st grade, snaring the dangerous skipper. Unfortunately for the MIG, Burwood took a more aggressive approach prior to the tea break and brought the game back into a more even stance. After tea, WCC looked to their opening pair and starved Burwood of easy runs, then snagged the 2 key wickets in succession, Burwood now 7/147.

Another frustrating partnership and clean hitting saw Burwood get to 192 before the 8th wicket fell. Burwood finally all out for 219. Craig Rupert the star, continuing on from his standout season last year, finished with 6/47. Wigney on debut snared 2, and so did Davies. WCC had 6 overs to see out the day.

Unfortunately, Hamish Ferguson chopped on. WCC 1/11. Overall a see-sawing day, but good cricket all round. Both teams will fancy their chances next week. WCC know if they bat with the right mindset, this total is well within their reach.

The rain washed away any chance resuming Day 2’s run chase but provided the playing group with some quality team bonding before they look forward to taking on George’s River in round 2.

Second Grade

2nd Grade started off their season with what was expected to be a hard-fought Grand Final Replay against Buwood Briars, with the two teams having met in the 2nd Grade Grand Final every year since 2014-15. Burwood won the toss and elected to bat and it was a nervous start for both teams before the 1st wicket fell at 21, with Jack Heysman taking a sharp catch at 2nd slip off Ollie Vinter to open proceedings.

This sparked a top-order collapse for Burwood as the Green Men got their tails up and proceeded to take 5-30 to leave Burwood at drinks at 5-51, with debutant Ollie Vinter taking 3/22 off 8 overs and Anthony Caruso taking 2/16 off 9 overs.

As ever, there was a middle-order fightback from Burwood and the partnership started to look threatening, putting on 31 runs for the 6th wicket before Cobi Stevens proceeded to turn the tide of the match back in Warringah's favour, sparking another 5-wicket collapse to take Burwood from 5/82 to all out for 106, losing their last 5 wickets for 24 runs. Cobi was the star in the 2nd part, finishing with 4/28 off his 11 overs, will Will Yeaman took the last wicket to finish the innings off.

Another nervous start from the bat, this time from Warringah saw them lose Jarod Colyer for a duck but Jack Heysman and Andy Mahn then teamed up for a 59-run stand for the 2nd wicket before Jack departed for 25. Another 25 runs was brought up between Andy Mahn and Lachie Kerr took the score to 2/84 with Mahny bringing up his 50 in the process.

But the loss of the wicket of Lachie Kerr sparked a middle-order collapse as Burwood fought back, taking 5/15 to leave Warringah teetering on the edge at 7/99, needing another 8 runs for 1st innings points.

But, as he did when bowling, Cobi Stevens was there to finish the game off for Warringah, neatly clipping consecutive boundaries between 2nd slip and Gully to bring up the 8 runs required for the 1st innings points and, combining with Lachy Molyneux, took Warringah to 121. Warringah eventually finished the day at 9/128, a lead of 22 runs and 6 points in the bag.

Unfortunately, no further action was possible on day 2 due to the rain but with only 1 other result achieved in the round (with Lindfield defeating Lane Cove). They will now take on Georges River, who were somewhat fortunate to have the rain come as they watched Auburn reach 6/278 at the end of day 1.

Third Grade

Day 1 Won the toss on Saturday an elected to bowl on a softish wicket. The green men got off to a mixed start taking an early wicket and leaking early runs.

Dropped catches and missed run outs didn’t help our situation with Burwood declaring on 7/320, Ian Bassett with two vital wickets with some impressive bowling from Callum Mckay, Liam Dinan and Roy Outred.

The green men are 2/28 in reply.
Day 2 saw all grades getting washed out but the boys were looking forward to the challenge of chasing down the total set.

Fourth Grade

The opening round of Shires saw our 4th Grade side make the trip to Concord to take on the reigning premiers, Burwood. With 5 U/16 players and 2 U/17 players, it was a very young, inexperienced team that took to the paddock for Warringah.
It was a new look 4thGrade team with only one player (Kev), being the sole survivor from the team that played in the semis last season. We won the toss and on a soft looking pitch, sent Burwood in to bat.
A young bowling attack of Sam Dunn, Matt Priest, Ollie Melville & Luke Morley did a great job in taking on the much older batsmen and at 3-64 at the first drinks break, things looked a bit ominous for us. But the boys fought on gamely and we rolled Burwood for 124, with Matt Priest & Luke Morley both taking 3 each.
The high of our effort in the field quickly turned to a low with the bat, as a combination of decent bowling, poor batting, the pitch and the usual standard of umpiring in the 4’s saw us capitulate for a paltry score of 42. Old-timer, David Nimmo, was the only bat to reach double figures before being fired LBW for 13.
Day 2 was a wash out but despite the loss, there were plenty of positives to take from the game! 

Fifth Grade

Started their season off with a win in Round 1 with everyone chipping in. 

Round 2 saw a tough run chase falling short by 20 runs and Round 3 was washed out.