WCC Weekend Wrap Round 2

Round 2

1st Grade: Warr 3/135 DEF  Georges River 198

2nd Grade: Warr 9/171 DEF Georges River 170

3rd Grade: Warr  DREW Georges River 

4th Grade: Warr 228 DEF Georges River 130

5th Grade (Metro Cup Rd4): Warr 8/160 DEF BY Syd Uni 5/162





First grade skipper Tristan Rajah won the toss and chose to bowl, assuming the pitch to have some spice after a week of rain. Craig Rupert and Gareth Newman were up to the task early, keeping the run rate to a minimum without the breakthrough. Being a one day game, this brought about more pressure, which Ben Wigney, our first change young gun took advantage of. Rupert then came back on to take our 2nd.


At the drinks break, Georges River 2/30. A quick wicket after the break by Ned Healey had us on top, before GR took control with their skipper. GR going from 3/59 to 3/132. Starting the last session we stepped up our bowling, led by new recruit Khalid Sawas, and reduced GR to 198 all over with a ball to spare.


Sawas, Wigney, Rupert and Healey taking 2 each. Knowing rain was due to hit in the afternoon, WCC came out with an aggressive approach with the bat. Burrows fell early, but all that did was bring Sawas to the crease. Together, he and Hamish Ferguson put on a great show with a 115 run partnership. Ferguson fell for a classy 40, including an uncharacteristic big six. Rajah fell quickly, before the rain hit.


Sawas was once again the start with a sublime 77 not out from 92 balls in his first hit for WCC. WCC sitting at 3/135 after 31 overs when played was called off due to rain and lightning. WCC winning comfortably on Duckworth-Lewis method, 35 runs ahead of the par score. A great win in our first completed game, kicking off our season!




We rocked up nice and early before the game and it looked hopeful for the weather to stay away for a full days play. We had the game plan of bowling first and try to roll them quickly so that if weather took part in the game we knew what to chase. We won the toss and elected to bowl.


We came out bowling well with Cobi and Ollie but unfortunately no wicket. They started to get a few to go to the boundary but we stayed to our areas and by doing so Luke Parkinson cashed in getting 4 wickets bowling first change and Molyneux with 1.


After having them now 5 for not a lot they put together a middle order comeback until Sir Consistent, Jack Heysmand bowled 10 overs straight with figures of 2/20 which had us back in the box seat. The next three wickets were taken by Parkinson, Vinter and Molyneux and we bowled them out for 170. Parko and Heysmand the pick of the bowlers with Parko ending up with a Michelle.


Going out to bat we knew it was a road so we just had to occupy the crease. We got off to a slow start getting to 0/30 after 15 or so overs. Good platform we thought until Colyer, Yeaman and Moffat departed in quick success. Then after Ruben occupied for a while he departed with not many. Then Molyneux and the opener Heysmand got a little parntership until heysmand got caught at mid on but well batted for 40.


At this stage it was 6/80 and looking hard to come back but after a few partnerships with Stuey and Cobi combined with Molyneux we got ourselves to need 20 off 5 overs. Molyneux then gets himself out on 46 to bring Vinter to the crease with parko to shave off the last runs. Quick single after quick single got us the win with 1 ball to spare. Made it difficult for ourselves but good to get the WIN. Lachy Molyneux




3s was washed out during the week and the team headed down to Weldon to support 2s in their close win.




Despite the terrible conditions leading up to the game, the removal of the covers at Frank Gray revealed a greenish but very hard pitch. And with the toss of the coin falling the right way, the MIG went into bat.


Sam Barnett and Wardy got us off to a great start with Wardy savaging the attack while Sam played the anchor role. Wardy copped a good old fashioned “mully grubber” and was bowled for 27. Matt Fisher (33) and Barny (64) kept the game moving along and at 1-143 in the 29th over, things were looking real good. But with both Matt and Barny soon gone, the scoring stumbled a bit and we were bowled out in the 50th over for 228, probably a good 40 runs short of what we should have got given the start we had.


Big Bustling Sam Dunn and Roy Outred took the new ball, with Roy knocking over the opener with his first delivery of the day. Sam soon took out the other opener. Davo entered the attack, bowling a great line and length but it took the introduction of Josh Park to knock over the stubborn number 3, clean bowling him with his second nut of the day! Parko ended up with great figures of 3-6 from 8 overs and just looks the part, in that green shirt, in 4s!! Robin Singh bowled 7 tidy overs of his left arm orthos to help us roll em for 130.


Enthusiasm was a key part of the MIG day and was a big factor in beating not only Georges River, but also the fast approaching storms, picking up a handy bonus point along the way!




Lost the toss and we were sent into bat in what turned out to be a difficult deck to score on. We got off to a very slow start but to the boys credit we didn't throw our wickets away and kept in the fight. Jack Melchoire came in at 4 and played a superb innings finishing 96 not out of 122 balls.


Everyone else dug in around him and we ended our innings with 8/160. A few early chances in the field went down and cost us the ability to apply real pressure. All bowlers bowled well and we fought hard right to the end forcing them to take 10 overs to get the last 15 runs.


They eventually passed us 5 down with 4 overs remaining. Kai Davies pick of the bowlers with 4/39 off 10